Background

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tres Leche Cake - by Summer

I wouldn't say that I was purposely putting off picking this recipe, but I knew it made a large cake (a 9 x 13 pan) and it wouldn't transport easily to my husband's office.  I finally got over the fact that it would make a lot and picked it for this month.  We had some friends over on Saturday night, so I thought it would be perfect to make it at that time.  I have heard of this kind of cake before - tres leche, literally means three milk.  And there is definitely three types of milk in this cake!

First you make a pretty basic yellow cake.  After the cake comes out of the oven, you poke holes in it and pour a glaze on top and let that soak into the cake.  The glaze is made up of evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, half-n-half and a tablespoon of rum.  Then you put the cake in the fridge for at least two hours.  I baked the cake for the shorter end of the time (I think 25 minutes), but it seemed as if I might have overbaked it.  Overall, it was really quite simple to make.
Cake out of the oven

Pour glaze over cake
The recipe suggestions a few ways to serve the cake.  I opted to cover with whipped cream (from scratch) and added a few fresh strawberries.  We all thought the cake was good.  It's pretty dense and not overly sweet.  Personally, I prefer things sweeter and with chocolate.  I'm glad I finally made this cake and I can see why it's popular.



No comments:

Post a Comment