Background

Monday, February 27, 2012

Buttermilk Pie - by Summer

Because I had little to no pictures last post, I made sure to really document this recipe! I had originally planned on making this pie over the weekend since my dad loves pie, but we ended up having a lot of other dessert stuff, so I held off until today.
I like making my own pie crust, so instead of using a frozen one, I went the from scratch route.  I surprisingly do not own pie weights.  In stead I have a bag of dry beans that I use specifically for blind baking. 

Pie crust out of the oven.




 It was pretty easy to make the rest of the pie.  Like Lisa, I had a lot of lumps when combining the flour, sugar, lemon zest and butter.  But by the time I added the rest of the ingredients, it was fine.  I just used a whisk and did it all by hand.
Fresh lemon zest
Pie filling
My pie baked for just about 50 minutes.  Sometimes I feel like I tend to under cook things, so I really tried to be patient and wait until I really felt it was ready to take out of the oven.
My husband and I dug into the pie after dinner tonight.  It wasn't quite what I was expecting.  There seemed to be a strange after taste, which we determined was the nutmeg.  I'm pretty sure that Lisa left it out and I kind of wished that I had too.  I did some research and there are versions without the nutmeg.  I'm bummed that I didn't like it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment