Background

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Current Scones - by Summer

I have to admit that up till a few years ago, I had never had a scone.  And the first time I ate one, it wasn't very good, so I didn't try another one for quite some time.  Then I had one that was amazing and decided that I loved scones!  They seem like they would be a lot of work, but surprisingly, they are actually very simple to make.

I picked this recipe knowing that I was going to replace the currents with something else.  Originally I had planned for dried cherries, but my son ate most of those this week.  I had some dried apricots on hand (he doesn't like those), so I cut them into quarters to use for this recipe.

My dough was very crumbly after I added the cream and vanilla.  I was tempted to add more cream, but instead just worked it into a disk.  I wouldn't really call my technique kneading, but it did come together.  The recipe calls for using a small cookie cutter, but I opted to just make triangles with a knife.  I figure there would be no waste and that is the typical shape you see scones.
Before baking

After baking!
These baked in about 17 minutes, but I think I could have left them in a minute or two longer.  My husband disagrees because he thought they would have been too dry.  It really didn't matter because we both thought they tasted wonderful!  They were flaky and a little sweet - so yummy!  And I really liked the apricots.  I envision myself making these again and again, just changing up the fruit.  Or adding chocolate chips instead.  Or doing dried cherries and white chocolate chips.  The possibilities are endless!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking these would be wonderful on Mother's Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, they sound perfect! I love scones...and it's so much fun how many variations you can make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they're as good as the bakery ones down here, I want some on my next visit. Apricot are really good as are cranberry, and cherry. The bakery makes chocolate ones with chocolate chips...real yummy. Poop on white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete