Background

Friday, May 25, 2012

Wine-Poached Peaches - by Summer

Hurray - it's the unofficial start of summer this weekend!  For some reason, I have been putting off this recipe and I can't quite figure out why.  It could be that I thought it would tasty really boozy, or it could be that we never have wine in the house (and not because we drink it all either!) But for whatever reason, this morning I decided I would make this recipe!

Last night I ran out and grabbed a bottle of rose wine.

Besides the wine the peaches were the only other thing that is needed that I didn't have readily on hand.  One trick that Beth suggests with the peaches is to use a melon baller to take out the pits!  The wine is mixed with sugar to make a syrup.  Then you add the peaches.
 After the peaches have cooked for awhile in the syrup, you take them out and then boil to liquid until it reduces in half.  Then you let the syrup and peaches cool.  Once cooled, I mixed the syrup and peaches and stuck them in the fridge.

This was really yummy and quite refreshing.  Perfect for a hot summer day!  My syrup wasn't very thick, so I don't know if I should have reduced it more, or if that is just how it's supposed to be.  It didn't have a strong wine taste, which was one of my concerns, so I was glad about that. This was so simple to pull together, so I can definitely see making this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment