Background

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wine-Poached Peaches - by Lisa

I realized with this recipe that somehow I've been thinking White Zinfandel and Rose wines were interchangeable. I think because they are both pink wines that I just made that assumption. After reading some labels, I quickly realized that is not the case! :)

While this recipe certainly is pretty simple, I did run into problems with my peaches. However, I attribute that to my inability to pick out good peaches. :( I think the peaches I chose were not ripe enough. I cooked them for an extra ten minutes and they were easily pierced with a paring knife by that point. But when it came time to try and peel the skins off, I had zero luck. :(



I'm glad I chose a larger pan, because the peaches all just barely fit! I loved the suggestion to use a melon baller to get the pits out too. That worked beautifully, and it is something I never would have thought to do on my own.


After taking the peaches out to cool, I got the liquid up to quite the happy boil. I let it cook on the stove for about another 20 minutes. I was surprised at how much liquid boiled away, and I was actually a little nervous I wouldn't have enough syrup!


After cooling, the syrup thickened quite nicely. I spooned it over the unpeeled peaches and figured we'd just have to go with it.


Hubby and I were both pleasantly surprised by how tasty this was. It was a little challenging eating the peaches, but I practically licked my bowl clean of the syrup! I really liked the flavor! Maybe if I can get some better luck with picking peaches, I'll try this again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment