Background

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake - by Summer


Lately I haven't been very deliberate about making the desserts, especially this month.  But this was the one exception.  My Grandma is turning 90 on Monday and this weekend we are headed to Wisconsin to celebrate her birthday with lots of family.  Her favorite cake is pineapple upside down cake.  There is going to be cake at her party, but I thought I would make this before we left, and bring her a slice. 

My little guy - ready to help
It seems like this would be a hard cake to make, but really, it was super easy.  I bought pineapple that was already cored from the store to help save a step.  The caramel was easy - just brown sugar and butter.  I thought maybe I could have let it cook longer, because it still seemed pretty grainy.

The batter for the actual cake was simple - but was pretty stiff.  I was surprised at the amount of ginger the recipe has - 2 teaspoons.  I chose to omit the rum that was listed as an optional ingredient.  The batter spread nicely over the pineapple and into the oven it went.  The cake baked for 40 minutes and it was ready to come out.  I thought for sure while it was baking that I had completely messed this up.  I could smell caramel burning, but it was simply because it was bubbling up and over the pan.  Next time I would place foil underneath to catch any caramel.

I was pretty excited to dig in after waiting about 10 minutes (5 to remove cake from pan and another 5 that Beth says to wait before serving.)  It turned out way better than I expected.  I thought the ginger flavor was a bit strong, but I really like this cake.  I had some later at night, but decided that I like the taste of it best when it was warm - just out of the oven.  I sure hope my Grandma likes it too!
Baked - just out of the oven
Just out of the pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment