Background

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cornbread from Scratch - by Lisa

I meant to get this post up yesterday, but I got a little distracted. Sorry! :)

Once upon a time, I was not a fan of chili. Consequently, I never quite understood the allure of cornbread. However, in recent years, I've discovered I do actually like chili, and a lovely piece of cornbread smothered in honey is quite enjoyable! I've made a few different types of cornbread ranging from boxed variations (Jiffy & Marie Callender (the latter was far superior) to recipes from scratch.

I came across another scratch recipe to try from a book I bought received from my dear nephew for Christmas last year called Make The Bread, Buy The Butter by Jennifer Reese. (LOVE IT!) The author set out to compare what is better made from scratch versus bought at the store. There are lots of recipes I am excited to try from it which I am sure will also make their way to this blog! :)

So I tried her recipe for the cornbread (which was actually passed down to her from her husband's grandmother), and it was a hit! Sweet enough for my liking and a great crumb. I adapted it slightly in that I used a 7x11 pan instead of a 10 inch pie pan.


Here is the recipe (adapted slightly from Make the Bread, Buy the Butter)

Ingredients:
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put the butter in a 7x11 glass pan and place in the oven to melt.
2. Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Once the butter has melted, take the pan out of the oven and swirl the butter around to coat the glass. Let it cool just a bit and then pour the remainder into the egg mixture. Whisk it all together.
3. Whisk the egg mixture into the dry mixture. It doesn't have to be completely incorporated. A couple of lumps are fine.
4. Pour into the glass pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment