Background

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Apricot Bars - by Summer


I recently ran into my former choir teacher from grade school.  She made these amazing bars which my whole family loved. She made some other cookies which may be featured at another date.  My mom got the recipe from her and even though I had been told they were easy, I never realized just how easy these are!  My two-year old helped with these. He's getting pretty good with a pastry blender already!  I changed the recipe slightly as I made these with all butter (I mean, really, how can you go wrong with butter?!)

Making the crust - flour, sugar, butter

Pat it into the pan

While crust is baking, soften preserves and make topping

Spread preserves on hot crust, then sprinkle topping (not shown)

Baked bars

Add frosting while still warm - then enjoy!

Try them! I bet you won't stop eating them!

Apricot Bars adapted from Mrs. Terrell

Crust
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Softened butter
Mix together dry ingredients, then cut in oleo with a pastry blender until crumbly. Press into bottom of 10 x 15 jelly roll pan.
Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Filling
1 Jar (18-20 oz.) Apricot Preserves
Empty preserves into a bowl. Stir to soften preserves. Spread over baked crust while hot.

Topping
3/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup butter
Mix together until crumbly, sprinkle over preserves. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes.

Frosting
1 Cup Powered Sugar
1 Tablespoon Milk
Mix together til smooth. Drizzle over top of warm bars. Cut into squares while warm.

Feed to Father*.

*I had to email my dad for the recipe. This line was included and he wouldn't lie to me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment