Background

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Plum Galette - by Summer

Somehow this recipe ended up being a lot harder than it needed to be.  For some reason I didn't think it would be any problem to try and find plums this time of year.  I guess I just figured it's fall and plums are in season.  Little did I remember that it's already the end of October (close to the end of fall) and when I went grocery shopping early last week, there were no plums to be found.  I went to a couple of stores and one even told me that they were out for the season.  I wasn't quite sure what to do, so I did some googling and decided that I would make a Pear-Apple Galette instead because both of those are easily found in stores right now.  I sort of combined recipes and when I went to eat it, discovered that it didn't bake nearly long enough (this was after it made a HUGE mess in my oven).  Defeat!

But the same day that I made the galette, I discovered Walmart selling red plums.  Initially I was bummed that I hadn't thought to run there before making the Pear-Apple Galette.  When I discovered the failure of the PA Galette, I decided that I could actually make the plum one after all.  So the next day I went to Walmart to purchase plums and more puff pastry.

By this point I had seen the galette made by Lisa and made one myself, so it actually came together pretty quickly.  And my mistake with the PA one was that I didn't make sure the edges were tight and the cookie sheet that I used to bake it didn't have edges all the way around, so that made a mess in the oven as it leaked juices.  For the plum galette I made sure that the edges where tight and I used a different cookie sheet.
Before baking

After baking
I tried to make this close to when we were eating dinner, so it might still be a little warm when we tasted it.  Unfortunately we ended up doing an impromptu dinner with a friend and ate later than normal, so it wasn't warm.  My edges got a little too brown and tried covering loosely with foil, but one side still got slightly burnt.  Overall it still tasted good.  I think mine was a little tarter than Lisa's and I think it was due to using only red plums.  I think if I made this again, I would try using a mix of different plums.

No comments:

Post a Comment