Background

Friday, January 28, 2011

"Kitchen Sink" Oatmeal Cookies - by Lisa

Well, we were doing well with alternating recipes until the end of the month here. Whoops. :) Summer gave me the great idea to make these with my 2 year old, so that's just what we did! It was a fun and easy recipe, and Caiden loves being involved. I don't often randomly add ingredients to recipes, but this recipe practically begs you to do so! It was fun going thru the pantry and deciding on what to add. I was also very curious to try these cookies out and see how they compare to the recipe I grew up on - my mom's oatmeal raisin cookies.

Baker in Training
He already knows how to turn on the mixer!
In addition to the oats, chocolate chips and raisins, I also added craisins and chopped pecans. I was going to add coconut as well, but decided that the bowl was already getting pretty full. I wound up with a lot more cookies than I expected which is always awesome. :) They also didn't spread out as much as I thought they might since the recipe suggests spacing them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. I also forwent the parchment paper and just baked them directly on the cookie sheets. They seemed to do just fine on them. :)


Initially I thought they tasted just ok. But by day 2, I found I liked them a lot better. Maybe I am just super used to my mom's recipe, but these definitely are a nice alternative. Next time I'll try adding in some butterscotch chips and see how they turn out. :)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful little helper you had! It's no wonder your cookies look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete