Background

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Keeping Things Figure Friendly

 When we first started this blog, eating all of the yummy treats didn't bother me - for about the first two years.  I was busy having babies and you need the extra calories . . . so I didn't worry about gaining weight.  But there definitely came a time when I  knew I had to slow down.  People often wanted to know how I kept from gaining lots of unwanted weight while doing this project.

The simple answer is actually planning.  I often planned to make desserts when we would have family or friends over for dinner.  Or if I had book club.  Or I would send things to my husband's work (I was really popular there!) Or I would give stuff the neighbors.  Surprisingly, we rarely had to devour anything all on our own, although there were times that we wished we didn't have to share!

Now that I don't have to bake as often, it's been somewhat of a relief on my waistline.  I'm not really a fan of baking "low-cal", "low fat", "healthy" things.  I'm somewhat of a purist - I like my butter and sugar.  It doesn't mean that the healthier versions aren't good, but I just don't always think they taste quite the same.  I would rather have a little bit of something that is full fat than a lot of something that doesn't taste great.  My other issue is that often times those recipes call for things that I don't tend to keep on hand.  Usually when I am in the mood to bake, I want to do it right then!  And running to the grocery store with two small children is never just a quick trip. So I often need to use what I have around.

I was excited when I stumbled across these cookies.  They aren't that bad for you, and you don't have to buy anything special for these either!  Try them - I think you'll be surprised how yummy they are!

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies - recipe from Weight Watchers

  1 cup(s) all-purpose flour   
  1/4 tsp baking soda   
  1/8 tsp table salt   
  1/4 cup(s) salted butter, softened   
  1/2 cup(s) dark brown sugar, packed   
  1/2 cup(s) sugar, granulated   
  1/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa   
  2 large egg white(s)   
  1/3 cup(s) semi-sweet chocolate chips, miniature   

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

Beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating well. Add cocoa and egg whites, beating well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chocolate minichips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 11⁄2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks. Yield: 40 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie).

No comments:

Post a Comment