Background

Thursday, August 9, 2012

(Great) Grandma's Pound - by Summer



I think that pound cake is one of those basic recipes that everyone should have and know how to make.  Usually it's easy to pull together with basic ingredients that you have on hand and it bakes at a low temperature for about an hour.  I've always made the recipe that is in my family - from my mom's grandma.  When we started baking through You Made That . . . there was a pound cake recipe in there.  It didn't turn out quite like what I was used to and it was made in a loaf pan.  The one I am used to making calls for a bundt pan.  My husband's family also has a pound cake recipe that's been passed down and apparently it's very similar to the one that my family makes.

This weekend my mom made some for us (as seen pictured*), but I assure you that I have made this many a times myself.  It's pretty no-fail and tastes great with strawberries and whipped cream.  But it's equally as good just all on it's own.

One tip that has made things easier is to buy the baking spray with flour and use that to grease the pan.  I have a really cool bundt pan that we got for our wedding.  It's a huge pain to grease by hand, so the spray makes it really easy to get all the tough corners!

Grandma's Pound Cake

2 sticks of butter
1 2/3 cup sugar
5 eggs
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 300 or 325 degrees (I think I usually do 325). Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Last add flour and vanilla, beat well.  Grease and flour a bundt pan.  Put batter in pan and cook for about an hour.

*Photo courtesy of Ron Blume - thanks Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment